PRIVATE LESSONS | Music

December 04, 2012

Try not to try | PRIVATELESSONS.com Music Lesson Tips

Try not to try | PRIVATELESSONS.com Music Lesson Tips

Try not to try


Tammy Scheffer
Submitted: Monday, December 3, 2012 - 8:52pm
Is "trying harder" really an effective way of thinking, when reaching for certain goal in lesson or practice?
It's been fascinating to me for a while to notice, both on myself and on my students, how our mental state of mind and focus are so crucial to achieving progress with our technique and musical goals. Many students come to lessons with the best intentions, fully focused and motivated, but still "get stuck"- can't hit a certain pitch, can't internalize a melody, or push too hard to get a note in the edges of their range. As for myself, sometimes I find that in rehearsals with challenging materials I sight read slower than I know I'm able to, or perhaps my voice gets tired quicker than it should.
We all want to do well. However, sometimes trying too hard can shift your focus from the actual material you're working on to the subject of succeeding vs. failing. Check yourself during practice- how often do you get frustrated with yourself and think "why can't I get this"? Try to shift your thoughts back to the technique itself or the material you're working on. Focus on your breathing, the loosening of your jaw, on the lines of the phrases.
Our frustrations and self criticism could also make us tighten up physically, which in turn would change the way we use our body to produce sound. Our air wouldn't flow through us freely. The facial muscles tighten up, not allowing the sound to resonate correctly. We start "reaching" for the notes, instead of just letting them go.
Stop worrying about your goal. You're more likely to get there faster.
Instruments: