PRIVATE LESSONS | Music

February 24, 2006

OPUS, a must see

I just want to offer congratulations to Michael Hollinger, a violist turned playwright, for a remarkable new play Opus. It is playing at the Arden Theatre in Philadelphia and I can see it going places.

Story: With only a few days to rehearse Beethoven's Opus 131, a world-renowned string quartet struggles to prepare for their highest-profile performance ever. Their rehearsal room becomes a pressure cooker as passions rise, personalities clash and the players are forced to confront the ephemeral nature of their life's work.

Few months back I ran into an acquaintance of mine, Jorge Cousineau, the Sound Designer for the Arden Theatre who told me with great enthusiasms how he recorded students from The Curtis Institute of Music for this production. It is worth mentioning that The Addison Quartet, formed in 2004, includes Johannes Dickbauer, José Maria Blumenschein, Lily Francis and Nick Canellakis. They sound great!

Adren extended the show by popular demand so see it now if you can.


Ghena

Join PrivateLessons.com I Syndicate Feed I Contact Me