PRIVATE LESSONS | Music

January 05, 2013

1000 word intro to Yoga for the Voice!! | PRIVATELESSONS.com Music Lesson Tips

1000 word intro to Yoga for the Voice!!


gfire mayo
Submitted: Friday, January 4, 2013 - 6:10pm
gfire's current promo photo!!
gfire sings her original "blue light" on TV!!
When I first began my professional singing career, still in my teens, I was extremely dissatisfied with the explanations I had been given for how and why the singing voice works. I just couldn’t make my voice do the things I wanted it to. Admittedly, I had pretty high expectations.
Fortunately, I went to my public library and happened on a copy of “Science and Singing” by the late, great Ernest George White of London, England. After decades of scientific research, White discovered how the voice and vocal tone actually originate in the four sets of sinus cavities in the head, not in the throat/vocal cords, as was previously believed. White taught people to speak who had had their vocal cords surgically removed – just by training them in controlling the air in their sinus cavities.
He explains in his book that the air vibrating in an enclosed space (the head) acts as a musical instrument, similar to a flute or a recorder or even air moving through a keyhole and producing sound. He felt that the vocal cords, or vocal folds as he preferred to call them, merely aided in regulating the flow of breath from the lungs up to the head, where the sound was actually produced.
Unfortunately for me, White had already passed away in 1940, so I began my own attempts at playing with the air in my sinus cavities. After many months of study, pretty much by trial and error, I found that I was actually a first soprano, not a second soprano, as I had thought. I found that it took much less air – and a lot of control – to maintain my high notes, but that I now HAD control. And I really began to develop my own unique singing voice, after years of trying to sound like everyone else that I admired. Wow – even my high expectations had been reached.....
Please check out: http://yogaforthevoice.com for the full article: