PRIVATE LESSONS | Music

May 15, 2007

Pain and Secrets

For the advanced pianists, Pain and Secrets is a must read post by my Curtis colleague Hugh Sung in which he focuses on Erlkönig by Schubert, a four-minute piece of music that can seriously damage a pianist’s right arm.

When I was young and stupid, I did just that. The Pioneer Label came to Curtis to film Erlkönig for educational Laser Disc series. Five pianists rejected the project. I accepted along with baritone Reginald Pindell.

As I anxiously searched for a clever solution in the chapters of Am I too loud? by the legendary
Gerald Moore, our beloved Lys Symonette, who coached us, still insisted on not faking the piano part, particularly with camera close-ups.

While we produced a remarkable performance, in retrospect it wasn’t worth it. My right arm was burning up so badly that it hasn’t been the same ever since.

Play smart. Stay healthy.




Ghena
Join PrivateLessons.com I Syndicate Feed I Contact Me