PRIVATE LESSONS | Music

June 08, 2007

In Search of a Phrase

Once in a while, I recall phrases from books that made an impression on me and try to go back and re-read them. But when it comes to a book with over 600 pages, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Google Book Search would be a very cool tool to use. But, Google didn’t have previews available for the book I am interested in, Miecio: Remembrances of Mieczyslaw Horszowski

Somewhere in the book Horszowski once said to his wife, and I paraphrase, "I never quite feel ready." Coming from a musical giant, the statement brings the art of performing to a very human level.

I often think about it. Even with the best possible preparation, any performance is an elusive moment in time when converging elements must work well together to achieve success. The anticipation of the unknown can be unsettling but that keeps performers excited and focused, and pushes them to greatness.

I could be right about the phrase, I could be wrong. Either way, I look forward to re-reading the book.


Ghena
Join PrivateLessons.com I Syndicate Feed I Contact Me